Wednesday, June 4, 2008

HISTORY IN THE MAKING

It was over dinner at Soul Fish last night that Bill and I witnessed history in the making, what with the CNN news coming across the bar tv in the corner announcing that Barry Obama had beat out Hillary Clinton. We discussed who he would possibly get as a running mate and why.
Across the isle from us, our waitress seated a father and son, approximately 60 and 20 years old respectively. I was surprised and relieved that Bill had also noticed how uncomfortable they seemed being with each other. Surprised because it's usually me who makes a comment on my perceptions of strangers and relieved because he expressed that he obviously wasn't the only "old guy" who can't get more than a one word answer out of a son. I found myself eavesdropping on their conversation as I savoredmy husband and our time together. The new arrivals seemed to relaxed a bit after a few bites of food. I went into information gathering mode. The young man was home from college for the summer and he was having a little difficulty adjusting to as he put it "the Memphis state of mind". Besides the fact that this young man was the spitting image of my nephew Cody, I couldn't help but steal glances as I studied his eyes and face while he was swinging a comment to his dad and waiting to see if he had found a comfortable rhythm for them to double dutch their conversation.

Bill smiled at me and repeated his question about my day, I had been caught giving him the
Huh? expression and so had to step up my own game of staying in the moment of "our lives" and yet trying to steal a glimpse into the private lives of others. Their had been a time when I would have gotten the cold shoulder from my mate, but over the years as I witnessed just moments before, he too had become skilled at people watching. After answering his question, he decided to take advantage of my nosiness and asked, "He's older than Kyle don't you think?" which I immediately interpreted as"Don't sit there woman!, what do you think is going on?"

I turned my head to the wall beside me and pretending to study a painting I dished out my findings. "Oh, he's atleast 20, he's home from school, and he's already mentioned how he must be maturing, because he compared himself with one of his friends"(insert confused look on my husband's face , which reads....Damn! how do you do it?). I smile and thank the waitress who has brought our dinner and as Bill gets up to go wash his hands, I sip my beer pretending to catch the latest analysis of the political situation all the while wanting to poke dear old daddy there and clue him in (Hey man, are you getting this? Junior here is prepping you for something with all this "I must becoming mature dad" jazz.....strap yourself in buddy he's about to lower the boom) Well, a few more comments about how great a couple of his professors thought he was last semester and batta bing....he brushed hair from his eyes, squared an ivy league jaw and let it fly...."Yeah Dad, I was thinking that after this summer here at home, I really don't want to return to Memphis. I'm planning on remaining in Boston for good."

As a parent, I prepared to offer aid to the wounded in the form of hugs and a stiff drink and at the very least was ready to catch daddy dear when he fell backwards from his chair.

Bill's return broke more than just our silence. I waited for the Boston strangler, who suddenly became very animated telling locker room jokes, to get loud enough so as not to be heard before giving the crime details.

"Oh, how did that go over?" Bill sounds very empathetic while wiping barbeque sauce from his moustache. I just sigh and tip my head in their direction.( see for yourself dear)

I suppose the possibility of permanent silence was harder on the old guys heart than the news that his son was not interested in coming back home, so he began to tell a few jokes of his own and recounted a crazy old professor that he had once. ( Ah, that's it buddy, never let em see you sweat, this is just the primary......you've still got lots of time)

Reminded that nothing ever stays the same, we talk about our own kids, and make a date for our next evening out together.

Kids grow up, they leave and its all part of life. Just like politics we might not feel comfortable with all the changes that come but its all history in the making.

2 comments:

Aunt Jackie said...

You nosy thing you! Can nobody have any privacy anymore?? hahaha Just giving you a hard time. I know it's easy to get caught up in other's conversations in public.

I do hate to look around myself though and see people knee deep in my biz... Maybe they didn't see you.

JINKS said...

Yeah, I represent that.....lol
who knows maybe they were the kind of folks that thrive on others hanging on their every word. I'm sure the son saw me because he asked if he could have our ketchup bottle.