Wednesday, June 25, 2008

RUNNING ALONG JUST FINE.


Last night Bill and I went to Rhodes College and met up with about 50 other members of the MRTC (Memphis Runners and Track Club)for the Budmile. Its just a nice get together to race between other members, make a few friends, and get a few tips from the others. Bill ran in the first heat coming in at about middle of the pack at 7:37 for a mile run. The last runner in that heat came in at 10:32 and since I knew I was much slower in my mile (14:30)I chose not to run. These guys might be quick on their feet but some of them would have forgotten what they were doing there by the time I finished. So I sat in the bleachers and did what I do best....encourage the bravehearts. Ya'll I clapped and hollered like a mad fan. The last heat was with runners making the mile in less than 5 minutes. Is true, everyone loves a winner so it was like a day at the horse races for these folks and some of them ran like thoroughbreds with nostrils flaring, jockeying for position on the inside track with glistening muscles. When it was all over there was time to talk to a few seasoned atheletes who assured me that before they ran all the umpteen marathons they too were a slow-go. One fellow, who runs the Boston marathon recalled that 10 years ago it was the fact that he couldn't run a half mile that got him seriously running. I guess nothing gives you motivation like humiliation.

I'm really proud of Bill, after all he's in his late 50's and has a walking route as a letter carrier and he still puts forth tremendous effort. He gets frustrated at times, when guys older than himself breeze past him but he uses it to keep himself going.

Did a lot of "self talk" as I sat on the bleachers waiting for the event to begin. Sure I wasn't in the same league as these folks when it came to times. If they had had a slower heat, I would have entered...maybe. But I would be damned if i'd give up. I had worked hard and it took a lot for me to get to where I am now. If I had gone to one of these runs a year ago I can only imagine how insecure I would have felt. I would have surely given in to the notion that an overweight woman in her 50's could only look foolish trying to learn to run. Funny thing today, when I think back about yesterday, it's the faces of the slower runners that I remember. I can't lose sight of the fact that everyone is in a race by themselves and with themselves. I will remember it is none of my business what other people think about my ability...it only matters what I think. If I think I can...then I can. Next year at the same race...no better yet, at the Mug mile, which runs two weeks sooner, this old mare is going to pony up to the red line and strut her stuff and if I'm dead last so what. It's crossing the finish line like everyone else that matters.

3 comments:

BBC said...

Well, I don't do running after trying to shove my leg up my butt with a motorcycle and wrecking my knee back in the 70's.

It's since been fixed but I still don't do running. If I'm in a hurry I'll take a bike or a car.

Running for the hell of it is just running for the hell of it and I don't see the point in that.

Hell, I don't even chase pussy anymore. LOL

Aunt Jackie said...

Ahhh BBC doesn't see the point in many thing eh?? :)) hehehe That's o.k., we still love ya BBC!

I am proud of you Jinks because like we discussed at lunch the other day, 3 years ago you wouldn't have thought it, now you're doing all sorts of things, and most of all this 'running a 10 minute mile is actually something you're aspiring to.

KUDOS!!! And Congratulate Bill for me.

JINKS said...

Hey you two. I'm with you BBC, running for the hell of it doesn't make sense, so I figure I'll run with a purpose, maybe several. You know, you never have to chase kitty if you know how to call it.

Auntie J, thanks friend. Gosh, wonder what sort of things we'll both (you and I) be doing 3 years from now? I'll pass the congrats to Bill.